Car accidents can be frightening, but it is important in this scary moment that you remain calm, prioritize safety, and take the proper steps to ensure you and all other drivers and passengers recover quickly and get back on the road.
Here is what to do if you get in a car accident:
- Move your car to a safe area: If you are on a busy road, the safest thing to do, if you are able, is to immediately pull off onto the shoulder or a place where traffic will not put you at further risk.
- Make sure everyone in your car is okay: Assess the health of you and your passengers quickly and call 911 if there is an emergency.
- Check on other people involved in the accident: Again, call 911 immediately if someone is in poor condition.
- Call the police: If you haven’t had to call the police due to medical issues yet, be very thankful—but you’ll still need to call them to file a police report.
- Exchange info: Trade information with the other driver, including names, phone numbers, license plate and driver’s license, insurance info, etc.
- Take pictures: Document everything you can.
- Contact insurance: Begin filing your claim with your insurance representative.
- Go to the doctor: Just in case, it is important that you and your passengers see a doctor to make sure you are okay.
If your vehicle needs repairs after a collision, don’t hesitate to contact us at Bates Nissan. We’ll be happy to schedule a service appointment for your vehicle to get you back on the road as soon as possible.